Friday, September 11, 2009

Class One

How much can a person really tell from the first day of class? I place much weight in first impressions but never let them cloud an evolving opinion.

That said, I think I'm going to like this class as well as the people I'll be in class with. Lately, my immediate assumptions about professors have been spot on, and Dr. Webb seems knowledgeable, laid back, confident, and supportive. And I take the ratio of return students as an indication that I can place confidence in his skill as an instructor. Because there was less interaction between students, I didn't get too much of an impression, but people, for the most part, seemed confident in themselves, and Dr. Webb seemed confident in his returners. (I'm a little concerned about the number of commas in that last sentence...)

All of that really means nothing. Here's what I really want to say: I'm looking forward to working hard and learning a lot. I'm looking forward to having a conversation with my classmates and with the film and literature we'll get to share with each other. I won't lie, I hate group work in the traditional, secondary education sense of the term. But collaboration and real discussion that promote critical thinking can produce extraordinary results.

1 comment:

  1. Wicked photo on your front page. Look forward to discussing Iranian literature with you!

    ReplyDelete